We’re a few months away from WrestleMania season and with recent rumors running rampant about who could be on their way back to WWE, I thought it would be a little fun to engage in wild speculation and predict the WrestleMania 40 card in April. This is mostly spurred on by the news that CM Punk is likely returning to WWE. They’ve already been teasing it on Raw and Smackdown, no matter how much they try to deny that’s what they’re doing. I’m going to run down each match and give you my thoughts. Here we go…
1) Women’s Showcase Fatal 4-Way Match for the WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship: Chelsea Green and Piper Niven [c] vs. Alba Fyre and Isla Dawn vs. The Kabuki Warriors vs. Charlotte Flair and Nia Jax – I have WWE repeating the “showcase” format and putting both tag titles on the line. Chelsea Green is fantastic and it would be nice if she and Niven can provide a little stability to the titles. With Kairi Sane on her way back, it’s the perfect chance to give the division a boost by putting her back with Asuka. Alba and Dawn are on their way back and being one of the only actual teams they have, they fit right in. I have Charlotte and Nia as a random team because I can’t think of anything else they can do. You’ll see futher down the list.
2) Men’s Showcase Fatal 4-Way Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship match: Street Profits [c] vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn vs. Pretty Deadly vs. DIY – I can see the Profits getting the gold back by the end of the hear or early next year. Kevin and Sami get another shot before they possibly go their separate ways. Pretty Deadly are entertaining and could shine the Mania spotlight. With DIY back together, they could head into Mania as the favorites to win the titles.
3) Women’s World Championship Match: Rhea Ripley [c] vs. Becky Lynch – There’s a reason they haven’t put Becky against Rhea yet and I believe it’s because they’re waiting for WrestleMania. Lynch will likely drop the NXT Women’s title sooner rather than later and she could be a favorite to win the Women’s Royal Rumble match. However, I don’t think she’ll be the one to win it.
4) WWE Women’s Championship Match: Bianca Belair [c] vs. Jade Cargill – I believe Belair will the title back, maybe at Elimination Chamber and set up a mega match with the Royal Rumble winner, Jade Cargill. Jade is going to be treated as a bonafide star upon her arrival and I think she’s the favorite to win the Royal Rumble match. This could arguably be the most atheltic Women’s title match in Mania history.
5) WWE Intercontinental Championship Match: Chad Gable [c] vs. Ricochet – I think Gable will ultimately be the one to dethrone Gunther and go into WrestleMania as champion. A match with Ricochet could be a showstealer.
6) Ladder Match for WWE United States Championship: Bobby Lashley [c] vs. Rey Mysterio vs. Santos Escobar vs. Austin Theory vs. Grayson Waller vs. Dragon Lee vs. Logan Paul – With Lashley pinning Rey on Smackdown, I think it’s very possible that he’ll take the gold off Rey in the near future. The rest of the field, along with Lashley, could provide the kind highlight reel style match that the Money in the Bank ladder matches used to provide WrestleMania in the past.
7) Iyo Sky vs. Bayley – The fall of Damage Control is coming and I think Bayley will be the one to cost Iyo her title, setting them up for a showdown at WrestleMania with Dakota Kai caught in the middle.
8) Damien Priest vs. Finn Balor – The tension between Priest and Balor has been building for months and it WILL come to a head at some point. To me, the easiest way to get to this match is to have Priest cash in, win the world title, and get kicked out of the Judgment Day, turning him into a babyface in the process. He gets replaced by JD McDonaugh and Priest decides to take on the Judgment Day, running through JD and Dom on his way to Balor at Mania. Balor could cost Priest the title along the way.
9) Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso – This match is almost a lock for WrestleMania. The ongoing saga of the Bloodline will take another turn when Roman Reigns likely rebukes Jimmy’s attempts to rejoin the Bloodline and Jimmy has to go it alone like his brother. Around Royal Rumble, their paths converge with Jimmy getting in his brother’s business leading to their showdown at WrestleMania.
10) John Cena vs. LA Knight – With Knight and Cena involved together right now against the Bloodline, it’s an easy setup for a future match that can be done without a heel turn. Knight has been on fire and he could simply want a match with one of the greatest of all time on the biggest stage to continue his ascension into superstardom.
11) Brock Lesnar vs. Gunther – A dream match for many that could be an incredible exercise in pro-wrestling violence. Brock is a babyface again and Gunther is a monster heel who will soon be a dominant world champion. Brock Lesnar would be a perfect name to cross off Gunther’s list of conquered foes.
12) Drew McIntyre vs. Randy Orton – The heel turn for Drew is on the way and after he starts demolishing the Raw roster, enter the Viper to try and stop him. They have had bangers in the past and another one at WrestleMania would be awesome to see.
13) Night One Main Event-World Heavyweight Championship Match: Seth Rollins [c] vs. CM Punk – Let’s face it, CM Punk is going to be back in WWE soon and he will instantly become the favorite to win the Men’s Royal Rumble. Then, he can finally get the WrestleMania main event he wanted during his first run with the company as he takes on Seth Rollins for the title to close out night one. I think Priest will cash in MOTB soon and get a short run with the title. Rollins can win it the title back at Royal Rumble, defend it at Elimination Chamber, and then face Punk at Mania.
14) Night Two Main Event-Undisputed WWE Universal Championship Match: Roman Reigns [c] vs. Cody Rhodes – I will believe the rumors of The Rock making his return to face Roman when I see Rock in the ring standing across from his cousin and the match becomes official. Until that happens, it’s pretty obvious that Cody is being setup for a rematch with Roman. I think Cody will end up being the trade piece for Jey Uso and get sent to Smackdown where he’ll start fueding with the Bloodline on his way to getting his rematch. This time, Cody walks out with the title.