Gunther (c) (with Ludwig Kaiser) vs. Sheamus (with The Brawling Brutes) for the intercontinental title took place at WWE Clash at the Castle 2022. Here are the highlights…
* Before the match, Bret Hart and Tyson Fury were shown at ringside.
* There was a full Imperium reunion with Giovanni Vinci making his main roster debut for Gunther’s entrance. Gunther and Sheamus stared at each other as the other started brawling. Sheamus and Gunther started trading blows right when the bell rang. Sheamus went for the 10 beats but Gunther escaped to the outside. Gunther gained the upper hand when he slammed Sheamus onto the steel steps.
— WWE (@WWE) September 3, 2022
* Back in the ring, Gunther continued his dominance. Sheamus tried to fight back but was hit with strikes, chops, and kicks from Gunther.
Two big men just delivering a beating to each other.
— WWE on BT Sport (@btsportwwe) September 3, 2022
* After taking a lot of punishment, Sheamus was finally able to make a comeback and hit the 10 beats. Sheamus continued to build up momentum as he came off the top with a knee to Gunther. Sheamus hit a running knee but Gunther was able to kick out. The crowd started a “this is awesome” chant. Sheamus hit White Noise but Gunther kicked out again.
Things are getting brutal at #WWECastle
— WWE on FOX (@WWEonFOX) September 3, 2022
* Gunther was able to avoid the brogue kick and hit a powerbomb but Sheamus kicked out. Sheamus hit a Celtic Cross (Razor’s Edge) but Gunther kicked out once again. Sheamus went for another Brogue kick but his back gave out from the earlier powerbomb and Gunther hit another one. Gunther then hit Sheamus with a lariat and scored the victory.
* Sheamus received a standing ovation from fans after the match.
The most underrated performer of his generation.
— Italo Santana (@BulletClubIta) September 3, 2022