J Says: TLC 2017 Thoughts Submitted by J. Elam on 10/23/2017 at 12:01 PM
1. Asuka vs Emma: Debut match for Asuka, and they didn't make it a squash? Instead they have her work basically 50/50 with Emma for 10 minutes. That's just about the same as they did with Shinsuke Nakamura. Had him go back and forth with Dolph Ziggler. Just make it a squash. It'll get her over.
2. Rich Swann and Cedric Alexander vs THE Brian Kendrick and Jack Gallagher: Cedric still gets no reaction upon entrance, but the crowd opened up to him later on. I'm also guessing this makes Swann and Cedric an official tag team? Now if only the CW division was allowed to have matches outside the division.
3. Mickie James vs Alexa Bliss: In the pre-match segment, Alexa talked about her butt. That had to be a Vince scripted line seeing as Alexa's never boasted about her body before. Alexa worked Mickie's left arm the first half of the match. Things picked up in the latter half when they started throwing elbows. Almost like fans respond better with actual fighting rather than working body parts. What a novel concept! I did figure Mickie would get a brief run with the title, but that can wait.
4. Enzo Amore vs Kalisto: Enzo said he lost his voice, yet he was still yapping. Sigh. Can't escape his voice anywhere. Enzo seems to be the only heel that actually heels. Used a thumb to the eye to steal a win to win back the CW title. Him losing the title was sketchy anyway. He was literally pulled from the ring by Mustafa Ali, which led to Kalisto getting the title in the first place.
5. AJ Styles vs Finn Balor: Battle of the former heads of Bullet Club. Could the crowd have been any hotter? Haven't heard the crowd that excited since Styles vs Cena, which says a lot. Not sure why Finn opted for the Demon getup. His Demon fight is with Bray, not AJ. There was no need for the Demon. Matched each other blow for blow. No slow points in the match at all. They could've fought all night for all I care. Just a really awesome match overall. And I liked the Too Sweet post-match. Although I was surprised we didn't get a segment of BC with either Finn or AJ.
I hate to say it, but I'm kind of relieved Bray was out sick. That match wouldn't have been anywhere near as good if he was facing Finn.
6. Elias vs Jason Jordan: 3rd segment with these 2. JJ kept interrupting Elias' attempts to sing earlier. Finish was screwy. Jordan rolled Elias up, but the ref counted 3, despite Elias clearly kicking out before then. Not that I'm complaining about the match not continuing.
7. The Miz, Sheamus and Cesaro, Kane, and Braun Strowman vs Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, and Kurt Angle: Roman Reigns is out sick, so they replaced him with Kurt Angle. That's a head scratcher. Like, couldn't they have used anyone else already on the roster? Did it have to be Angle? Whatever.
It's been 11 years, and Angle doesn't even get his own entrance? Instead he enter with the Shield minus Roman. And earlier they gave him an all black vest. They couldn't find a red, white, and blue vest instead? I'd say the match seemed to go on forever (35 minutes), but it was fast paced early on, considering the TLC stipulations. Angle took like 2 bumps in the match in total. He didn't really get much physical, except for the sop where he hit multiple German Suplexes on Cesaro, Sheamus, and Miz. They did a spot where Braun took out Angle by slamming him through a table on the outside. Poor Dean, though. Twice in the match he failed to go through a table.
The real confusion is having Team Miz beat up Braun Strowman and toss him into a garbage truck. Why on Earth would they do that for? Surely they know Braun's gonna be super pissed once he gets out of there, right?
It was nice to see the 2 young up and comers Kurt Angle and Kane be the spotlights in this match. Also, Kane's entrance without his pyro is just 10 different kinds of weird.
All in all, not a bad PPV, considering the last minute audibles WWE had to make.