J Says: SummerSlam 2017 Thoughts Submitted by J. Elam on 08/21/2017 at 12:43 PM
1. The Miz (with Maryse), Bo Dallas, and Curtis Axel vs Jason Jordan and The Hardyz - Did anyone even see this match? There was barely anyone in the arena. That's just sad. I don't blame Miz one teeny tiny bit for being pissed off about it. All the guys in that match deserve better, even though Axel, Dallas, and Jordan aren't near Miz or Hardyz level.
2. Cruiserweight Championship: Neville vs Akira Tozawa (with Titus O'Neill) - Why put the title back on Neville so soon? Why take the title off him in te first place if you're just going to put it right back on him 6 days later? What was the point of that?
That's just dumb. Neville didn't/doesn't need the CW title anymore. If anything, he should move up into the IC scene or something.
3. SD Tag Team Championship: The Usos vs New Day (Big E and Xavier Woods) - Seen this matchup enough times to be honest. Usos and New Day have good chemistry together, but it'd be nice to move away from it for a while. Hell of a spot with one of the Usos throwing Woods over the top rope, and for the other Uso to catch him with a Samoan Drop. Woods sold it like death. Then the Usos destroyed Big E with Superkick after Superkick.
I hope Breezango finish up whatever they're doing. It'd be nice to get them involved in the tag title scene.
1. John Cena vs Baron Corbin - Corbin's finished. It's over for him. It's too bad. He had so much promise when he came up from NXT. He had some good matches. Keyword, some. Won the MITB match, then lost his cash-in in the most hilarious fashion. And now he's been buried by Cena at SummerSlam. There's no way he can come back from this.
2. SD Women's CHampionship: Natalya vs Naomi - These 2 have had chemistry in the past, so I expected a decent match out of this. And... Naomi tapped? What?! SO much for those rumors that they had big plans for Naomi, including them making custom Glow titles as merchandise.
I figured Carmella would cash-in, but she didn't. Would have been a good opportunity to pull the trigger on that, too.
3. Big Show vs Cass - Why, oh why did I watch this? That "match" was a chore and a half to watch. And why didn't Enzo try squeezing through the bars from the beginning? All that time wasted for nothing. Please end this feud already. Serisouly, no more of thie feud.
4. Randy Orton vs Rusev - I blinked, and it was over. Que pasa? Rusev ambushed Orton while he was near finished with his entrance. Bell rang, Orton hits the RKO and just like that, it's over. Took like, 10 seconds.
Burial counter is 2 for this show. Rusev's done, too. Might as well leave at this point. But I doubt it. He won't leave without Lana, and I see Vince trying really hard to make her stay.
5. Raw Women's Championship: Sasha Banks vs Alexa Bliss. Before the match, they showed Sasha hug Bayley backstage. Bayley got booed out of the building. That's a shame. Too bad that rubbed off on Sasha, because she got booed as a result of that.
They stiffed each other quite a bit. Which isn't surprising, considering they don't like each other personally. But at least they keep it professional. They had Alexa tap, so now Sasha's a 4 time champ.
So... Bayley heel turn? Might as well, right? Pretty sure that due to her injury, they swapped her and Sasha's plans.
6. Bray Wyatt vs Finn Balor - Gasp. It's the Demon Finn... who happens to be literally no different than normal Finn. Seriously, he wrestles the exact same style with or without the paint. He doesn't go to a dark place at all. It's ridiculous they keep trying to make it a thing. It's pathetic. STAHP. If you're going to try and make this Demon Finn a serious thing, make him wrestle a different style. Don't just be plain ol' Finn Balor with paint on his face and body. Do something different.
Finn won. That was booked the way it should have been. Brief.
7. Raw Tag Team Championship: Cesaro and Sheamus vs Ambrollins - Why is Seth dressed as Wolfpac Sting? Or is it more Deadpool? THANK YOU, CESARO!!! Took it upon himself to run into the crowd, steal a beach ball the fans were tossing about, and ripped it. Beautiful! It's about time someone did that. Bunch of ungrateful fans. If you're gonna toss a beach ball around, why'd you even attend the show? There's no reason to bring a beach ball to a wrestling event. Simply unexcusable. To the fans that do that kind of thing: Quit trying to make the show about you.
As for the match itself, it was nice seeing Ambrose and Rollins on the same page again. Gives me flashbacks to the Shield days (obviously). Their chemistry is still there. You'd almost think they never stopped teaming. Good move giving them the titles. I don't know if fresh is the word I'm looking for, but I'll use it anyway. I'm actually curious to see where they go from here. Should certainly make things more exciting now.
8. US Title: Kevin Owens vs AJ Styles - Shane McMahon was guest referee. AJ shoved Shane. Shouldn't that be a DQ? Owens shoved him as well. Still no DQ? Oh well. Shane took 2 bumps in the match, and sold them like a real ref. Loved Kevin Owens' response that Shane falls off buildings, yet can't get up from a single bump to make the count.
If you excuse Shane being the ref, it was actually a pretty good match. But unfortunately, the match was more about Shane than Styles or Owens. Considering the finish, we're getting Kevin Owens vs Shane McMahon. Blech. As for AJ, I see him brining back the US Title open challenge, ala John Cena.
9. WWE Championship: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Jinder Mahal (with Singh Brothers) - You'd think refs would ban the Singh Brothers from ringside at the beginning of matches, considering all the interference they run. But that would be logical, and WWE doesn't do logical. Now we get more of the same here. They interfered, costing Nakamura the title. It's grown stale. You could say it's reminiscent of JBL's title run, but at least JBL was a good talker, and had good matches here and there. Jinder doesn't have either of those things going for him.
10. Universal Championship: Braun Strowman vs Samoa Joe vs Roman Reigns vs Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) - Wow. Just wow. Unbelievable match from beginning to end. Was like a wrecking derby. No breathers at all for the crowd. Braun was clearly the MVP of the match, but the others did a great job, too. Didn't like the stretcher job for Brock, but it made sense, since Braun slammed him through 2 announce tables, and dumped the 3rd onto him. Maybe if Brock stepped up his cardio game, they wouldn't have to give him breathers during matches. Just saying. However, why didn't Braun just throw Lesnar in the ring and pin him? Why let officials wheel him off? If he's damaged enough to be wheeled out on a stretcher, he's weak enough to be pinned and not kick out, right?
Roman ate the pin from Lesnar. I think that's the right move. Joe and Braun still have momentum. They teased Brock giving Braun an F5. They'll likely build to that match. It's Mania caliber, but I don't see them waiting that long. Roman's going to need something to do. I'd put him in a story with Miz. Let Roman run with the mid-card guys for a bit. Or maybe he should ask Dean and Seth if he can be the tag team champions too? Nah.