Rift's results/commentary for Battleground Submitted by Aaron Rift on 07/23/2017 at 07:38 PM
Tye Dillinger vs. Aiden English.
- English sang before the match and also when he was working over Dillinger. This wasn't too bad with some good nearfalls. English picked up the win which I expected when you consider WWE's 50/50 booking patterns.
Usos vs. New Day for the Smackdown Live tag team titles
- The New Day members were wearing American Flag colors and did not do a pre-match promo. On the outside, Usos caught Kofi off the top rope and powerbombed him onto the floor. New Day made a comeback and got a nearfall with the Midnight Hour. Kofi kicked out of an Usos superkick/big splash combo. Xavier hit a big elbow after Kofi hit Trouble in Paradise to pick up the win with New Day becoming the new tag team champions. This was a fun match to kick off the main show.
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Baron Corbin
- There wasn't a lot of heat for this match. The crowd did do a 'Corbin sucks' chant and Corbin responded with, "I'm doing pretty good, dummies!" Corbin wiped out Nakamura with a lariat at one point. When Nakamura made a comeback, Corbin hit a low blow for a DQ and laid out Nakamura afterwards. Overall, I thought the match was pretty boring and did nothing to elevate either guy.
Women's five-way elimination match
- Naomi was on commentary. Lana and Tamina were working together early on. Becky ended up tapping out both Tamina and Lana. Natalya then rolled up Becky to eliminate Becky. Charlotte went for a moonsault on Natalya but Natalya got here knees up. Natalya pinned Charlotte to win the title shot against Naomi at Summerslam. While the match was fine, I was surprised more wasn't done to protect Charlotte.
AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens for a U.S. Title
- Owens knocked AJ Styles into the referee by mistake. When the referee recovered, Owens hit a suplex but Styles had his shoulder up. However, the referee didn't see it from his perspective and Owens was announced as the winner and new champion. The match itself was nothing special and the finish was flat with people being very confused about what happened.
John Cena vs. Rusev flag match
- It was announced that to win, you have to take your flag to one of the pedestals by the entrance stage. For a Cena match, there was a shockingly lack of crowd heat. Cena hit the five-knuckle shuffle and barely got a reaction. Rusev got the flag first but had to get it to the pedestal. Cena hit Rusev with the AA and made Rusev tap out to the STF but it didn't count under the flag match rules. Cena got the flag but Rusev went after him. The two ended up fighting by the stage. Rusev set up tables by the American pedestal. The two fought on top of the pedestal. Rusev hit Cena with the flag stand and put the accolade on Cena. Rusev was able to put his flag on in the stand when Cena stopped him at the last second. Rusev put the accolade on again but Cena broke out of it and put Rusev through the tables. Cena won. Yawn.
- In a backstage segment, The Fashion Police's attackers were revealed as... well, we didn't find out.
Sami Zayn vs. Mike Kanellis
- Maria tried to interfere like during the previous match but it didn't work. Zayn won with the Helluva kick. Standard match with almost no crowd heat.
Jinder Mahal vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Title in a Punjabi prison match
- Like the previous matches, it was hard to see the action because of the structure and was said to be even worse for fans in the arena. The crowd was dead except for negative chants like "delete!" and "CM Punk!" Some fans tried a "Let's go Jinder/RKO" duel chant and it got drowned out by boos. Orton hit the RKO and called for the last door to open. The Singh brothers got Jinder Mahal out of the first cage before time ran out. Orton climbed over and caught up with Mahal. The Singh Brothers prevented Orton from escaping the second cage. Orton took out the Singh Brothers and went after Mahal. Mahal got a kendo stick and used it on Orton. Orton turned the tables and used the kendo stick on Mahal. The Singh Brothers went after Orton again. One of the Singh Brothers climbed up the structure but Orton punched him off and he went through the announce table. Orton took out the other brother with a steel chair. Orton climbed the structure but The Great Khali came out and shook the cage. Khali choked out Orton through the structure and Mahal escaped. Besides the table spot and Khali appearing, this was a boring main event to end one of the worst WWE PPV events in years.