ViRTUE's RAGE: Top 5 Vocal Women in Wrestling Submitted by Virtue on 07/12/2017 at 10:54 PM
July 12, 2017
I have decided to post this brief impromptu column tonight because I wanted to get my official WWE Balls match grades up (see below). I also wanted to list my top five current females in pro wrestling that are the most vocal, whether it be kayfabe or in real life. I like to refer to them as banshees…
Ban-shee: Noun- (in Irish legend) a female spirit whose wailing warns of an impending death in a house.
Now I sure hope that NOBODY takes that reference literally. The main point of this article is to showcase the women in the wrestling business today that are not afraid to speak their mind. I have taken into account both kayfabe and real life because social media makes these figures full time entertainers, whether they like it or not. Just to reference some history, I would like to give a shout out to these very vocal women of wrestling from the past: Sensational Sherri, Sunny, and Vickie Guerrero. They were some of the best when it came to saying exactly what needed to be said in order to gain the audience’s attention. Their delivery was impeccable, too. To this day, Sunny is still very vocal on social media, and perhaps she has set the precedent for some of the youngsters on this list.
5) Stephanie McMahon: Sure, I should probably put Stephanie higher on this list based on her track record. But in reality, she is only most vocal on television. Since she is one of the leaders in WWE, she is very proper on social media. To me, that actually affects her overall ranking in this category. However, that definitely does not take away from her masterful shrieking on air. Let’s face it. Stephanie is one of the best all-time in using her voice as her tool to get heat. She has been a heel for most of her on-screen career. She can wail with the best of them. Since she is the active Commissioner of Raw, I am pretty sure we will all see and HEAR her again very soon.
4) Charlotte: I have to admit, Charlotte was a lot more vocally active when she was on Raw. Nonetheless, I think WWE is just kind of keeping her idle right now. When the time is right, we will all hear the Queen scream very loudly once again. Back when she was a heel on Raw, she used social media very well. Hell, she is the daughter of the legendary Nature Boy Ric Flair, one of the best mic performers in the history of pro wrestling. I am pretty sure he taught her a thing or two. At the very least, she just inherently picked it up from him. Woooooooo!
3) Alexa Bliss: At this point, Alexa has become my favorite female performer on the main roster. Yes, I still like Asuka from NXT the best. I have to admit, Alexa is probably the best woman on the mic right now in WWE. Her performances on Talking Smack and Raw Talk have proved it. I have even listened to her insult the crowd on live television, actually using the WHAT chant against them. Absolutely brilliant! I think Alexa will continue to grow both in the ring and on the mic as time goes on. I hope next time the WWE writing team gives her a crappy segment like “This is Your Life”, she goes off script and does an impromptu promo burying everyone and everything. I am sure she has to get to untouchable level first. Could you imagine if she had the same freedom like Cena and the Rock on the mic?
2) Paige: Poor, poor Paige. She is unquestionably the leader of the banshees when it comes to a non-business vocal presence. She is perhaps becoming wrestling’s voice of TMZ. As Aaron Rift reported earlier today, she has used her Twitter account to basically defend her man, El Patron. I noticed the self-destruction of Paige back when she was on Total Divas. I don’t think it was until then when I noticed she was on a diverging path. She never really had great mic skills during her runs as Diva’s Champion, even despite having the British accent. However, I think her wrecking ball style personal life is actually giving her more character and a voice. The question is, can she use it in the right way and put her demons behind her? Or will she marry El Patron, buy a house together with him, then get divorced and say “this is my house”?
1) Reby Hardy: And finally, there is good ol’ Reby. Obviously, she is most known for her recent Twitter war with Jeff Jarrett and Global Force Wrestling/Anthem over how TNA handled the departures of the Hardy Boyz. She is basically sticking up for her family and the Hardy’s livelihood. It is silly that there is a legal dispute over the rights to the Hardy’s own creation, the Broken gimmick. I think this would make for great television, but I realize Reby is currently taking care of her two sons at home, and her main media outlet is Twitter. But damn, she is sure great at it. I put her on the top of the list as the most entertaining person on social media so far in 2017. All I know, if I was Vince McMahon, I would definitely be spending money on getting Reby and the Hardys over on WWE TV. And if that means buying the “Broken” gimmick from Anthem, then so be it…f*** that owl!
WWE Great Balls of Fire Match Grades
Cruiserweight Championship- Tozawa Vs Neville (winner & still champ): B (Kickoff Show grade does not count towards GBOF PPV)
Bray Wyatt (winner) Vs Seth Rollins: B+
Enzo Promo: A
Enzo Vs Big Cass (winner): B
30-Minute Iron Man Raw Tag Team Championship- Hardys Vs Sheamus/Cesaro (winners 4-3 & still champs): A
Raw Women’s Championship- Sasha (winner by count out) Vs Bliss (still champ): B++
Intercontinental Championship- Ambrose Vs Miz (winner & still champ): B+
Ambulance Match- Strowman (winner) Vs Reigns: A
Hawkins Vs Slater: Who cares? It was all about the Ambulance Match aftermath!
Universal Championship- Joe Vs Lesnar (winner & still champ): B++
Overall GBOF Show Grade = A- (That’s right! This was the best main roster PPV of 2017 so far)
PPV Grades for 2017
NXT TakeOver: San Antonio = B++
WWE Royal Rumble = B
WWE Elimination Chamber = B
WWE FastLane = C++
NXT TakeOver: Orlando = B++
WWE WrestleMania 33 = B+
WWE Payback = B
NXT TakeOver Chicago = A-
WWE Backlash = B-
WWE Extreme Rules = B
WWE Money in the Bank = B-
WWE Great Balls of Fire = A-
If you like video games, please come check out my Great Lakes Video Games Facebook page.
Click Here: Video Games