J Says: MITB 2017 Thoughts Submitted by J. Elam on 06/19/2017 at 09:23 AM
WWE Money in the Bank 2017. So much potential to be a good PPV... only for bad decisions to be seen throughout.
1. Women's MITB: Carmella (with James Ellsworth) vs Charlotte Flair vs Natalya vs Tamina vs Becky Lynch - I have to give credit where it's due. I had my doubts that the women could have a good match with this gimmick. And they proved me wrong. I'll admit I was wrong to judge on that. I tip my hat to all 5 women for bringing their A game, and then some.
However, there was one problem with this match. That problem being James Ellsworth. He decides to shove Becky from atop the ladder, then proceeds to climb it, unhooks the briefcase, and Carmella is announced as the winner. Why? There was absolutely no rhyme or reason for him to get involved in the match. WWE keeps going on and on about how they're making history and all that with the women, and yet they pull something like this. All that hard work the women did, and A MAN wins the first ever Women's MITB. That's incredibly upsetting on so many levels. It suggests that women need a man to come to their rescue at all times. Like they can't do anything on their own. Just a completely dumb decision.
2. SD Tag Team Championship: New Day vs The Usos - Another case of a good to great match with a dumb ending. Crowd seemed into this match. Or, as much as they could be, considering the match that came just before. Seemed to go heavy on the nearfalls, though. They probably could've cut maybe 2 of those. They did all of this, just for the match to end in a countout. After the finish of the Women's MITB, they do another crap finish. And I for one, don't blame the crowd for being ticked off by this point. They've not gotten their money's worth so far.
3. SD Women's Championship: Naomi vs Lana - I believe this was Lana's first singles match (on the main roster). She's got a lot of work to do. Maybe if she put as much effort into her in ring work as she does complaining and being a terrible person on Twitter, she'd be halfway decent. Carmella teased cashing in, only to not. O... K... So she came down for nothing. Typical "I'm cashing in" tease that they love to do. Should also mention, Carmella gets no reaction. It's just silent when she shows up.
4. Maria and Mike Kanellis made their debut. Or at least, the latter made his debut. Maria's been here before. Seems like they're letting them keep their gimmick they used in ROH and TNA. They might have used it in Japan also. Not sure. I wonder how long it takes WWE to screw it up. They had a pretty sweet them song, though, so they got that going for them.
5. WWE Championship: Jinder Mahal (with Singh Brothers) vs Randy Orton - Before the match, WWE acknowledged some popular wrestlers from St. Louis. Among them were Larry "The Axe" Hennig, Sgt. Slaughter, "Cowboy" Bob Orton, and "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair. Orton had the match won, until the Singh Brothers placed Jinder's leg on the ropes. The ref ejected them, but they didn't leave. Instead they stayed around and placed their hands on Bob Orton. Randy went on to beat up both Singh Brothers, including an RKO (a really nice on BTW) through an announce table. Upon getting back in the ring, Jinder hit the Khallas for the win.
The Singh Brothers were ejected from ringside, yet they refused to leave. Shouldn't that be some kind of penalty kayfabe wise? Like, not even a DQ or something? Also, when the Singh Brothers grabbed Cowboy Bob Orton, none of the other legends could get their hands dirty, not even just a tad? As soon as they grabbed Orton, Ric Flair popped up like bread from a toaster. He was ready to throw down. Instead, the legends were just... there.
6. Men's MITB: AJ Styles vs Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn vs Dolph Ziggler vs Shinsuke Nakamura vs Baron Corbin - Corbin attacked Shinsuke as he was makinghis entrance. Nakamura was then taken to the back by officials. Just like with the Women's match earlier, the men brought their A game, particularly Owens and Styles. I lost count of how many times they were thrown into, or slammed onto a ladder. I'd say those 2 made the match.
Towards the end of the match, Nakamura made his way back to the match and started cleaning house. Once he'd decided to climb the ladder, his old NJPW foe AJ Styles met him in the ring. The crowd ate it up; those 2 locking eyes and setting the ladder aside. There's a future feud right there. Once the dust had settled, it was Baron Corbin coming down with the briefcase. Crowd made little to no noise. Nothing Corbin did in the match got any reaction. Probably because he's boring. Can't spell Corbin without borin(g).
A few things...
1. Was Shane McMahon not watching the show or something? He had time to tweet his displeasure with Ellsworth, but why didn't he just come down to the ring and do/say something? It shows laziness. At least Daniel Bryan had an excuse considering he's taking care of his newborn daughter. What was Shane's excuse?
2. Baron Corbin was very nearly the dumbest person in the MITB match. He was about halfway up the ladder when Nakamura made his way to the ring. For whatever reason, Corbin stopped climbing the ladder, and got down. Nevermind the fact that Nakamura was walking slowly to the ring. Corbin almost tossed away a shot at winning by doing that. He (briefly) took his eye off the prize.