Rift's WWE MITB 2017 results/commentary Submitted by Aaron Rift on 06/18/2017 at 06:42 PM
Thank you for checking out my ongoing results and commentary of WWE Money in the Bank. Talk about tonight's show with myself and other fans in the Disqus section below and I will respond to as many comments as possible.
Zack Ryder and Mojo Rawley vs. Primo and Epico
- Ryder was selling his knee halfway through the match. Ryder was able to get the hot tag to Rawley. Ryder and Rawley picked up the win with the Hype Ryder. This was your standard kickoff match.
MITB ladder match
Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Natalya vs. Tamina vs. Carmella (with James Ellsworth)
- A nice video package was shown after the women made their entrances. All the women but Tamina tried to grab ladders right off the bat. Tamina dominated the other women early on. Charlotte and Carmella both climbed up and Tamina tipped over the ladder. There were a few big spots with the ladders but not at the level of the male matches. James Ellsworth ended up tipping over the ladder when Becky Lynch was climbing. Ellsworth climbed the ladder and grabbed the briefcase. Ellsworth gave the briefcase to Carmella, and even though the referees argued, Carmella's music played and that was the end of the match. The match was good but too short and the booking was straight out of WCW.
Smackdown Live tag team titles match
The Usos (Jey Uso and Jimmy Uso) (c) vs. The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston, and/or Xavier Woods)
- The Usos worked over Kofi Kingston's leg that was injured and almost won by submission. Kofi got a nearfall with the SOS. Big E tagged in and hit a big ending (which was initially botched) for another nearfall. With Usos being close to losing, they decided to purposely get counted out. Another good match that was hurt by a weak finish. I guess in the era of paying just $9.99, fans don't need good finishes on PPV events anymore.
Smackdown Live women's title match
Naomi (c) vs. Lana
- Lana came out 2nd. The crowd chanted "we want Rusev!" Lana worked over Naomi's leg early. Lana kicked out of the rear view. Carmella and Ellsworth came out and teased a cash-in but Carmella decided not to. Naomi tapped out Lana during the distraction. Match was nothing special with Lana not doing much and the crowd was dead for most of it. Carmella cashing in actually would've made logical sense so she could do it before Daniel Bryan is able to take action.
- There was a Fashion Files filler segment and a mystery team challenged Breezango.
- Mike Bennett and Maria came out for Bennett's debut/Maria's return. They were using Maria's last name Kanellis. They cut a promo and talked about the "power of love."
WWE Title match
Jinder Mahal (c) (with The Singh Brothers) vs. Randy Orton
- Various legends including Bob Orton were shown at ringside. As expected, Randy Orton got a huge reaction from the St. Louis crowd. The two brawled on the outside early and Mahal went after Orton's leg. Orton hit the RKO but the Singh brothers put Mahal's foot on the ropes. The referee told the Singh brothers to leave. The brothers got in the faces of the legends. The brothers went after Cowboy Bob and Orton attacked the brothers. Orton RKO'd one of the brothers through a table and got back in the ring. Mahal hit his finisher and retained the title. The match was fine but very predictable.
- Breezango faced The Ascension in a bonus PPV match. There was no crowd heat. Breezango won.
MITB ladder match
Kevin Owens vs. AJ Styles vs. Baron Corbin vs. Sami Zayn vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
- Nakamura was jumped by Baron Corbin during his entrance. The match started without Nakamura. Ziggler and Corbin worked together but Corbin turned on Ziggler. Zayn slammed Owens from the top rope through a ladder. Zayn hit a sunset flip powerbomb to Ziggler off the top of the ladder. Zayn tried to climb the ladder but Styles stopped it with the phenomenal forearm. On the outside, Corbin chokeslammed Styles onto a ladder. Styles recovered and slammed Owens onto the same ladder bridge. Styles climbed the ladder and Ziggler pulled out the ladder. Styles tried to hold on but eventually lost his grip and fell. Corbin was about to win when Nakamura came back out. Nakamura cleaned house and took out everyone. Styles and Nakamura had a staredown and moved the ladder aside before starting to fight. It was back and forth and both guys climbed the ladder. The crowd was doing dueling chants. Corbin knocked Styles and Nakamura off the ladder and got the briefcase. This was a very good main event.