WWE RAW results/commentary/discussion for 5/15/17 Submitted by Aaron Rift on 05/15/2017 at 07:55 PM
- The show kicked off with general manager Kurt Angle. Kurt Angle said Roman Reigns has "settled the score" with Braun Strowman and mentioned Strowman's surgery. Angle said that at Extreme Rules, there will be a five-way to determine Brock Lesnar's next challenger for the Universal Title: Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Samoa Joe, Finn Balor, and Bray Wyatt. Reigns came out and said he is the #1 contender and mentioned that he beat Undertaker and put Strowman in the ambulance. Balor came out and said he was the first Universal Champion and he never lost his title. Balor mentioned that he defeated Reigns last summer. Joe, Wyatt, and Rollins came out as well. Everyone started fighting and Balor was the last man standing. This was a fine segment to keep the storylines moving along with Strowman gone. It was your typical promo segment with all the participants coming out on the mic and then the segment ending with a fight. The only thing that still bothers me is the big logic hole with Balor not getting his guaranteed rematch for the title he never lost.
- Backstage, Angle made Rollins vs. Wyatt and Reigns vs. Balor for tonight.
- Jeff Hardy vs. Sheamus. Cesaro tried to get involved and Matt made the save. Matt took a brogue kick for his troubles but Jeff was able to hit the swanton bomb for the win.
- Sasha Banks vs. Alicia Fox. The rematch was set up because Alicia got her shoulder up last week. Noam Dar was at ringside. Alicia picked up the "upset" victory over Sasha with a scissors kick. Booker T pointed out how Sasha has lost some steam lately and called Sasha a "flavor of the month" prior to the finish. It was interesting to see Sasha lose here. It was also interesting to see Dar out there with red ropes.
- Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz for the IC Title. There were dual chants for both guys. Ambrose kicked out of a skull crushing finale. Miz tried to hit a low blow on Ambrose but Ambrose stopped it. Ambrose then hit his own low blow but got DQ'd. This was a good match with a hot crowd. The finish was a letdown in a sense that this feud is going to continue even longer. It was also interesting that the announcement of Ambrose retaining the title got boos from the crowd.
- Alexa Bliss came out and called Newark, NJ "the sweat glands" of America. Bayley came out and said she is invoking her rematch clause against Alexa Bliss at Extreme Rules. Alexa attacked Bayley and grabbed a kendo stick from under the ring. Alexa attacked Bayley with the stick and the crowd did an "ECW!" chant. Alexa was great again in this segment. I still wonder why nobody in the Universal Title picture can invoke a rematch clause like Bayley.
- Backstage, Miz complained to Kurt Angle about the match with Ambrose. Angle made Ambrose vs. Miz in a match where Miz can win the title if Ambrose is DQ'd. The Drifter appeared and played guitar. Wouldn't it have made more sense to just do a NoDQ match? A match with a DQ doesn't sound very Extreme.
- Austin Aries and Jack Gallagher vs. Neville and TJP. It was announced that Aries would face Neville for the cruiserweight title at Extreme Rules. TJP got the win over Gallagher. It was tough to watch this match because the crowd was not invested in it. There was a beach ball and "CM Punk" chants. Also, there was a light "this is boring!" chant.
- Backstage, Kurt Angle made Alexa Bliss vs. Bayley for Extreme Rules in a Kendo Stick on a pole match.
- Roman Reigns vs. Finn Balor. Reigns went shoulder-first into the ring post which gave Balor the advantage. Reigns made a comeback and drove Balor into the ring post. Balor kicked out of a superman punch. Reigns ended up winning with the spear. Good match. Reigns got his win back from the summer.
- Backstage, Bray Wyatt cut a promo on Seth Rollins.
- The Golden Truth were said for a match when Goldust turned on R-Truth. This was a nice surprise yet the crowd reacted with a "Thank you Goldust!" chant.
- Enzo and Cass came out for a promo and Enzo talked about being from New Jersey. Titus O'Neil came out and mocked Enzo's routine. The crowd chanted "asshole!" at Titus. Cass said Enzo isn't wrestling Apollo, Cass is wrestling Titus. Titus didn't want to wrestle in his suit but the match took place anyways. Cass won the match right away. After the match, Enzo tried to take a selfie and Crews kicked Enzo. This was a strange segment. I did enjoy Titus' promo work.
- Bray Wyatt vs. Seth Rollins. Wyatt got several nearfalls on Rollins. When Rollins had control, Samoa Joe came out and attacked Rollins to cause a DQ. Joe and Wyatt had a staredown but then the two of them attacked Rollins. Wyatt then laid out Joe with Sister Abigail. Wyatt also hit the move on Rollins.
This wasn't a particularly exciting match with a lack of crowd heat. The Joe run-in was very predictable. Overall, a flat ending to RAW.