NoDQ.com > Columns > J Says: SmackDown Thoughts 3/7/2017
Posted by J. Elam on 03/08/2017 at 12:02 PM
Recap of last week’s main event segment with Randy Orton burning down the Wyatt Family compound while Bray watched from the ring.
1. Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan open the show. They’re discussing the controversy of last week. Bryan thinks Randy Orton should face Bray, whereas Shane thinks AJ Styles should face him. Now we get more highlights from the segment they opened the show with. Bryan announces that he and Shane decided Randy Orton and AJ Styles would square off to determine the #1 contender.
I don’t like that decision. Orton gave up his spot. He doesn’t deserve to get it back just like that. Styles won his match fair and square, and now he has to fight for it again? The least they could’ve done is made it a Triple Threat match.
2. James Ellsworth has a mic. He taunts Cena for taking longer than he did in beating AJ Styles. He introduces Carmella, who comes out to no reaction.
James Ellsworth and Carmella vs John Cena and Nikki Bella: Just as the bell rang, The Miz and Maryse made their way to the ring. Nikki got distracted, and Carmella hit her with a superkick. Back from break, and Carmella has Nikki in a headlock. Nikki fights out of it, throws out Carmella, and tags in Cena. Ellsworth showing reluctance to get in the ring. He tries to back out, but Carmella shoves him into Cena. Cena slams Ellsworth, and goes for the 5 Knuckle Shuffle. Carmella stops him and Nikki hits her with a Bellahammer. Nikki and John hit simultaneous 5 Knuckle Shuffles, then hit their finishers, followed by STFs (Nikki's was obviously better). Ellsworth and Carmella tap out. Miz and Maryse attack them afterwards.
Miz calls Nikki and John’s relationship a lie. Says he and Maryse are the IT couple in WWE. He taunts Cena for the timing of WWE revealing he and Nikki were together. He’s glad Cena found someone as power hungry as he is. Says it spits on every real relationship. Maryse utters something and drops the mic on Nikki.
3. Renee Young outside of Randy Orton’s locker room. She asks about the compound. Orton says no one will stop him from facing Bray. He says based on what he did last week, he suggests AJ be afraid. Says if he were AJ, he’d run.
4. Curt Hawkins calls out Ambrose for what happened last week. Hawkins tried to attack him, but Ambrose clotheslined him. Ambrose insults Baron Corbin. Corbin says he doesn’t show when someone calls him out. Says he’s going to take everything from Dean, including his title. Dean says if Corbin won’t come to him, he just go to him instead. Then he gives Curt Hawkins a Dirty Deeds on the outside.
Ambrose walking around backstage looking for Baron Corbin. Then it just cuts to a commercial.
5. Mojo Rawley has an announcement. Calls Zack Ryder’s win at last year’s WM a big moment for him. He announces his entry into the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. Ziggler tries to put down Mojo, but Mojo shuts him up, stating that Dolph has never won at WM.
Cut back to Ambrose. Corbin ambushed him with a pipe. He places him in front of a forklift, then lowers it onto Dean as referees try to save him.
6. Alexa Bliss and Mickie James are in the ring. Alexa calls this a “Blissertation.” She talks about her TBD opponent at WM. It’s not Naomi due to injury, Nikki hurt from earlier, and Carmella’s dealing with Ellsworth. Also, it’s not Becky Lynch (she calls her a Chucky doll). She tells her to give up, and then Becky makes her way to the ring. She’s making a “Bex-claration.” She says she’ll defeat Alexa and win the title at WM. Natalya makes her way now. She says she and Alexa are championship caliber, and Becky isn’t. Alexa says Nattie isn’t getting a shot either. She calls Nattie the worst there is, was, and will be. Mickie tells them all to shut up. Mickie says she’s facing Alexa. Alexa’s baffled by that. She tells Alexa they had a deal. They all start arguing, and Daniel Bryan comes out. He says Alexa will defend her title against all the available women on the roster. Alexa’s none too pleased. He pulls a page out of Teddy Long’s playbook and makes a tag team match.
Bekcy Lynch and Natalya vs Alexa Bliss and Mickie James: Nattie and Alexa start things off. Nattie hits a basement dropkick that was poorly done. Nattie tags in Becky, and Alexa tags in Mickie. Becky and Mickie keep reversing the other’s holds, until Mickie gained the upper hand. Then, Mickie and Alexa take turns working over Becky, despite her comeback attempts. Becky finally begins her comeback uncontested, when Nattie comes in and gives her a German suplex. Alexa tags herself in (surprising Mickie whilst doing so) and pins Becky for the win. Mickie hits Alexa with the Mick Kick and holds up the title.
7. Orton goes for an RKO early, but Styles blocked it. Match is starting off kinda slow. Both guys getting a feel for each other in the first few minutes. Orton gives Styles a back body drop on the barricade as they go to break. Back from break, and Styles is working over Orton’s leg. Orton fought out of it, and now Styles has him in a headlock. They go to another commercial break. Back from break, and Orton begins his comeback. He hits 2 clotheslines and a PowerSlam on Styles. Then he hits a Full Nelson Slam. Orton went for a SuperPlex, but Styles slid out of it. He connects with an Ushiguroshi, but Orton kicked out. Styles went for the Styles Clash, but Orton dumped him onto the apron, then went for his DDT, but Styles countered. Styles locks in the Calf Crusher, but Orton reaches the ropes to break it up. Styles goes for the Phenomenal Forearm, but Orton shoved him off the ropes, then hits his DDT. Goes for an RKO, but Styles counters with a Pele kick. Styles teased the PF, Orton anticipated and went for an RKO. Styles went for a 450, but Orton moved. He tossed Styles in the air and executed an RKO to win.
1. After SmackDown went off, WWE Exclusive showed that AJ Styles and Shane McMahon got into a heated argument backstage. Styles is blaming Shane for him losing his spot. But that makes little sense. Shane earlier in the show, was advocating for Styles to keep his spot in the match, whereas Bryan wanted Orton. If anything, Styles should be mad at Bryan, not Shane. Or what they could’ve done is have Bryan vouch for AJ, and Shane vouches for Orton.
2. Surprisingly, no Bray Wyatt or Luke Harper this week. It’d be nice if Bray could give his response to last week. Or if they mentioned Bray was unstable or something. Any explanation this week would’ve been nice.
3. This is 2 weeks in a row now that WWE neglected to show/mention the tag division on SmackDown. Did they disappear or something, or can they not make time for people anymore? Either way, it’s not a good sign. If Raw does that for even 1 week, people would have torn it to shreds. But yet SmackDown does it, and no one bats an eyelid.
J. Elam's Plug
NoDQ.com - Online Entertainment
Click here to discuss this post
J Says: Backlash 2017 Thoughts
Wrestle Review: A Look At Backlash
J Says: MNR Thoughts 5/15/2017
JT's WWE Raw Review/Results
Wrestle Review: Dolph-in Trouble
J Says: Babyfaces Seeking Revenge
Wrestle Review: Things Change
J Says: Payback Thoughts 4/30/2017
Wrestle Review: Lunacy
J Says: SD Thoughts 4/25/2017