"I honestly think that you are so good (different) at how you approach columns. I know some people take compliments lightly and such, but honestly, you should be a very proud man. Boatloads of people including me, read your columns ALL THE TIME. Me personally, I wake up every morning, and before I go to school, I read your column (I'm 16). Also, your consistency with your columns is amazing, just from reading them so much, I almost feel like I know your thought process (not that I do). So with all of that out of the way, thank you."
- Sean, wrestling fan
Okay folks, here is the quick rundown. I will rush through a few of my Raw thoughts today. Not to bother all of you with my personal life, but there are some things going on this week that has distracted me a bit. You may noticed from all the old 're-post' columns as of late? In any event, I will be back on Wednesday with my 'random thoughts' edition. My email inbox is back to being filled up, so there are MANY topics to discuss. If you want to join in the fun, be sure to do so!
1. Long show - I really do not want to harp on this every single week. I really don't. Trust me. I never enjoy being negative. However, these shows are just becoming ridiculously dragged out. Add on the extra long over run from last night, and you have an exhausted live crowd. To their credit, Philadelphia held up well...but Raw is still TOO LONG at three hours.
2. That being said, the show was actually pretty good compared to recent editions. I liked a lot of the under card stuff. The tag title match got some love. Ryback and Mark Henry look like beasts. Even Fandango and Chris Jericho came through with another solid performance. The Shield did some good stuff. With most of the big matches set weeks back, it is nice to see more time devoted to the 'lower' feuds.
3. The Undertaker/CM Punk opening was good, but not great. To repeat myself, this pairing never appealed to me from the beginning. To be fair, both men with their first few interactions were entertaining. Last week was dreadful. This week was just 'good.' You can't simply be 'good' two weeks away from getting people to pay $60 for The Streak to end at WrestleMania 29. To be honest, the BEST part of this entire feud was the 30 second promo video during a commercial advertising their match. Now, THAT is more of what I want to see!
4. Good stuff from Triple H! Nothing amazing but served its purpose with Brock Lesnar gone this Monday night. Next week should be much better with a final 'face to face' confrontation. WWE has not convinced me his career will end in less than two weeks. However, I have not convinced myself that he WON'T retire either...
5. Great final segment with The Rock and John Cena. I liked the idea of a bunch of legends asking the two questions. That was a fun idea to do something 'different' for a change. I'm just not sure it came off well with all of them simply sitting there listening. Either way, Rocky and Cena more than made up for it.
John Cena FINALLY mentioned that he beat himself last year at WM28. If you saw the match, you know he is telling the truth. He had The Rock beat. In the middle of the ring, it was over. However, Cena just HAD to mock the People's Elbow. That was his mistake, and he lost. I love that WWE FINALLY brought up the finishing sequence. It was a major part of the match and should be played up this year even MORE than it is.
I am not wild over Cena taking a Rock Bottom though. I can live with it but not overly excited to see it. Last year, the company were very smart in keeping the physicality between the two VERY limited from February-April. They did the same with Undertaker and Triple H as well in 2011 and 2012. The two BARELY even touched. You want to see them fight? That is what you PAY for! I give credit to WWE for showing some resistance over the past two years. As we saw with the WM27 and WM28 buy rates, it certainly worked big time.
Last night, we saw a Rock Bottom to Cena. We also saw Taker get some punches in on Punk, before he ran off. Not a major deal - just a curious choice two weeks away from the biggest event of the year. I doubt it will have a HUGE effect on the pay-per-view buy rate, but let's keep the main guys separated going forward. All in all, Raw was fine...they just need to kick it up even more this close to WrestleMania 29.
Before I go, let me just quickly answer two emails that I KNEW were coming after Raw...
Jesus via email:
"Hey Jay, you are probably going to hate this question, but I think I got a decent argument. WWE has no competition - well, no real competition. For that reason, I think we should take the risk of turning John Cena heel. Let me start by saying that I'm a fan of his, not a huge one, and I believe he can pull it off. If it fails, well, it would be fairly easy to turn him face again."
Why do this to me? Why? I already have enough on my plate for the next few days. I won't get into it, but a 'John Cena heel turn' question is the last thing I want to discuss. If you believe this is FINALLY the time, then so be it. If you think it would be so easy to turn him back, then so be it. Whatever you choose to believe is up to you. I will go through many lengths to avoid this subject, but it just keeps coming back...
Mr. Ab via email:
"After the (obviously false) tease for a heel Cena on Raw, fans j***ed their pants. I personally wouldn't want a Cena heel turn because I don't think Cena can pull it off or that there is a big enough face for him. Even if he somehow did pull it off, I don't think WWE can keep it hot and interesting."
I know you are seemingly against the turn. However, just the fact that this all was brought up (again) is just tiring. It really is.
I get it. I really do. Cena said he HAD to defeat The Rock at WrestleMania 29. He said things would change forever after the show. Yada, yada, yada! It was very reminiscent of 2001 when Stone Cold said he HAD to win the title leading up to WrestleMania 17. I watched wrestling back then. I remember it very well. Everybody got the hints last night. We all heard Cena's words. It was intense and very truthful in what he said. Blah, blah, blah! Been there, done that 382,617 other times - didn't care before and won't start now.
Please folks! Aren't we done with this specific topic yet? Can we really beat this dead horse for ANOTHER seven years? Is that the goal here? See how many times we can be wrong? Count the amount of occasions to be disappointed? Is that the end game here? Come on, let' just discuss anything else people...please! Please.
Cena is turning heel! Sting is signing with WWE to face Undertaker! Stone Cold will wrestle CM Punk! No really, he will!
*What do you folks think? Was Raw an entertaining show last night? Do you have any topics for me to discuss this week?*
Thank you for visiting NoDQ.com! We will have live PPV coverage of WWE TLC 2013 on December 15th starting at 7:30 PM EST. Please spread the word!
You'll find information on this fan-created website about the following: WWE News, WWE Rumors, WWE Spoilers, WWE Results, TNA News, TNA Rumors, TNA Spoilers, TNA Results, John Cena, The Rock, Vince McMahon, Ryback, The Shield, Alberto Del Rio, Sheamus, Impact Wrestling, Austin Aries, CM Punk, Bobby Roode, Big Show, Jack Swagger, Jeff Hardy, Hulk Hogan, Wade Barrett, Antonio Cesaro, Daniel Bryan, Kane, Dixie Carter, Paul Heyman, Wrestling Video Games, WWE Divas, TNA Knockouts, Wrestlemania, Summerslam, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, PPV Results, and much more!